Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lilly's journey : Day 21

Thurs, 25 June: Day 21 in foster care

Yes, 3 weeks have passed since becoming Lilly's foster mum - the best job in the world! Lilly has adjusted well, easing quickly into life as a family pet, becoming more playful and confident as each day goes by. Out on a leash in the familiar surroundings of East Coast Park, Lilly's tail wags high and she's no longer troubled by runners, bikers, roller bladers or the gardeners in large hats wielding brooms. Having a confident pack to walk with (Stilts and Maffy, me & Jolfha too) has undoubtedly helped. She likes to be striding up front, walking more quickly to overtake if Stilts or Maffy dare to take the lead. She's a jaunty walker, there's a hop and a skip in her stride, and she clearly loves the big outdoors.

After bathing all 4 dogs the other day, small Stiltsy acted crazily - screeching loudly, yapping madly, racing around, snapping at the grass and plants, rolling on mats to dry herself. She always does after a dousing and I've never stopped this bit of poco loco as frankly it makes me laugh. But Lilly thought it was abnormal behaviour, too hyper and out of control. In a second her body language changed, she stiffened, then made a fleeting dash at Stilts, a skilful pounce, snap (no contact). Stiltsy calmed instantly and Lilly returned to her mat and lay down. That was a telling off if ever I saw one! I think, given time, Lilly would emerge as leader of my girl clan - she seems a natural kind leader and has all the skills to stay out of trouble. She meets all dogs on leash in a courteous manner, circling, sniffing, enjoying.



It's early days but certain fears remain that make her want to flee, such as loud machinery, sudden noises, crowded streets with noisy traffic, things rushing headlong at her (who wouldn't be scared!), strangers, walking through a door into a small room full of dogs or people (big rooms are fine). Perhaps she'll never overcome these, no matter. Although she walks happily into her crate for food, I've noticed that she no longer wanders in alone to lie down. At nights, now, I have to lift her in gently; she's not stressed by this and settles quickly to sleep, but she obviously prefers being loose with the rest of the pack.
As the 2 week "honeymoon period" lapsed, I noticed Lilly became protective over her chew bone. She always lets me take it, remove it, hide it, chew it... but she has started giving out a warning growl if the dogs come too close. Something to watch at feeding times around other dogs - and a reminder to tell children to stay away from dogs with bones.

What Lilly hasn't mastered (yet) is SIT, not even for a tasty morsel - and not even when her favourite human, Christina, comes to visit and requests her nicely to SIT! Obviously my fault, I must be a slow teacher as Lilly has proved herself a quick learner in so many other respects. With my 3 others around me, all sitting on request for a treat, Lilly just stands, wags and smiles at me. I almost give in to those beautiful eyes. But no... I push lightly on the back of her legs (behind her knee caps so to speak!), down she plops, and there she stays not moving... even if the position looks uncomfortable. As I wiggle the morsel just out of her reach in an effort to get her to stand so we can try it all again, well, she just cranes her neck forward, not lifting her butt off the ground. She's at least learnt that butt on floor means treats... I just haven't found the correct way yet to get her to do the motion herself. Am working on it... but what didn't work was pressing down on her rear end above her tail, or waggling treat over her head and backwards.
She has so many other talents though, that my failure in getting Lilly to understand my mad gestures and human-babble about such a natural act as sitting... well, it's hardly worth mentioning.

More coming, after I pick up Lilly from Animal Clinic where she is being spayed on Monday.






























No comments: