Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Lilly's Journey : Days 4 & 5

Photos by Jacqueline Peterson-Jarvis & Sherry Conisbee
On the dog's end of the sofa, one eye on Animal Planet

Monday and Tuesday, 8 & 9 June:

Don't get me wrong, but Lilly is proving a bit of a disappointment.

Having swatted up on all the dog behaviour books, revised the best crate training methods, and spent money on buying netting to to make our garden escape proof, Lilly's transformation from a scaredy-cat industrial dog to companionable house dog has made all these preparations a wasted exercise!

Let's recap...

Last Thursday when I visited her at fabulous Mutts & Mittens, she was nervous, obviously wary of me and all new strangers, and did not enjoy my attempts at physical contact. I never saw her tail as it was tucked so far between her back legs. But she always had a wag for the M&M staff, so I knew there was hope.

A few days later...

By choice, Lilly sleeps in her crate (door open) for an uninterrupted 10 hours.

Rushes to the gate with the rest of our pack to "see off" the enemy (the dustbin men)
Enjoys walks on leash and wading in the sea.

Play bows to humans and dogs, gets real frisky on the beach.

NEVER tries to escape. On the contrary, moves so close to my heels that she keeps tripping me up. (Note: buy another dog training manual). That's indoors, haven't been brave enough to let her off leash outdoors, and I probably won't.

Recognises that I am a Super Hero, with powers to stop speeding bullets [cars]. Am slightly worried she also thinks I control the tides (Nother note: buy doggy life jacket).

Bows her head so I can put on her collar and leash

Plays with a tennis ball. In fact, she threw the darned ball back to me, honest truth, but I guess that was fluke. But hey, if she could repeat it, Amy could sign her up for American Idol.

Lilly doesn't want to escape. Martin can put on hold all escape-proofing of our garden.

Jumps in the car to go out (first time today!)

What a Lassie she's turning into.

Note for all: available on Amazon. "On talking terms with Dogs : calming signals" by Turid Rugaas is a good "kind" read for anyone fostering a nervous/shy dog like Lilly.

No comments: